Friday, 17 May 2013

A brief history of registered designs

Oh man, I clearly did not want to write this post.

This one has been a long time coming. Part of the problem is that Registered Designs are relentlessly boring. From the point of view of a philosophy of IP it doesn't get more utilitarian than RDs.

Designs evolved in parallel with Copyright. In fact Designs were originally protected as a special class of copyrights for patterns on linen. Hang on to your hats incredulous readers because it only gets more exciting from here. 

Sorry. No it doesn't.
A design is the overall appearance of a product. This includes the shape, configuration, pattern and ornamentation which, when applied to a product, give it a unique visual appearance. [Source]
The shape of the Holden Monaro:
a Registered Design(!)
What is a (little bit) interesting is why Designs are separate from copyrights these days[1]. Copyrights in an artwork can be lost if the design is "industrially applied." In Australia that happens if 50 copies are made. So a cup may be a copyrighted work of art (specifically a sculpture I guess) until you make 50 of them and then it's... yet another cup. If you wanted to prevent people from making exact copies of that cup you'd need to register the design with IP Australia

But why make this distinction? Why would a unique and distinctive design be copyrighted 49 times but then magically lose that protection once the 50th copy is made? Could it be because copyright is there to promote the higher ideals: science, art and learning? And if all you're doing is making lots of cups then clearly you aren't doing any of those things? And therefore... the state isn't prepared to lend the full weight of copyright law to something as ignoble as cup making or linen printing?

I don't know. I think I should know... I probably once did know... but finding out again would probably involve looking up Ricketson and $6,285.09 exceeds my budget. 

Friday, 15 March 2013

Re-introducing... Mumpsimus.

A while ago I started playing around with a new way of debugging web apps. I basically piped the HTTP stream through UNIX pipes, using a combination of Perl scripts and other commands to modify HTTP headers and bodies on their way to and from the browser.

I've just started playing with the concept again and this time I've put the code on GitHub.

It's still in its really early days and I really only ever have time these days to pick at it occasionally.

Anyway, here's the relevant introduction from the README.


Introducing Mumpsimus: An experiment

A mumpsimus is a person who obstinately adheres to a custom or notion, even after it's been shown to be unreasonable (alternatively, the word may be used to describe the custom or notion itself).
It is said to have come from an illiterate 16th century priest, who was mispronouncing the Latin word "sumpsimus". When told of the error, he replied:
I will not change my old mumpsimus for your new sumpsimus
This Mumpsimus is a tool set for re-writing HTTP messages before they reach your browser or device. It will stubbornly mis-state both requests and responses -- even when someone thinks that's a bad idea.
For example, we might use Mumpsimus to stubbornly insist that all assets are cacheable. Or that none are. Or we might serve a local file when a remote one is requested. Or we might randomly scramble the Google Analytics tracking code, or strip out our Facebook cookie when visiting third party sites. Oh the places we'll go!
The original idea was a tool for debugging during web development. If that's your thing then check out the Charles Web Development Proxy. It's very handy. Mumpsimus is still a toy.

How it Works

The toolset is designed to work as a set of UNIX command-line programs that will co-operate using UNIX pipes. The basic idea is to feed in HTTP messages (requests or responses) via stdin, and have the (potentially) modified output printed on stdout. This in turn can be fed to another command and so on.
Here's a simple example:
$ mkfifo backpipe
$ nc -l 8080  < backpipe | log | nc proxy 3128 | log -v > backpipe
Or, if you have Mmap.org's Ncat tool:
$ ncat -l -k localhost 8080 -c "log | ncat proxy 3128 | log -v"
Log is part of Mumpsimus. It prints information about HTTP messages it sees on stderr. So these commands (the two blocks above are functionally equivalent):
  • Listens on port 8080 for browser requests (therefore set your proxy to localhost:8080)
  • Pipes the browser request through the log command, which will print one line on stderr per request
  • Pipes the request through another netcat instance which will forward it to a real proxy running on port 3128 (assumes the proxy's hostname is "proxy")
  • Pipes the response through another log command, this time also printing HTTP headers (-v turns this on)
  • The resulting output will be sent back to the browser.
Let's play with the Cache-Control header!
$ mkfifo backpipe
$ nc -l 8080  < backpipe | nc proxy 3128 \
    | sed -e 's/^Cache-Control: .*/Cache-Control: private/' \
    | log -v > backpipe
This will mean that all requests going back to the browser will have their Cache-Control header re-written to say "private", allowing our browser to cache locally.
Actually, all we're doing above we could do already without Mumpsimus. The problem with it is that any line beginning "Cache-Control" will be re-written, not just headers. The pipeif tool can help, since it knows HTTP:
$ nc -l 8080  < backpipe | nc proxy 3128 \
    | pipeif -h -c "sed -e 's/^Cache-Control: .*/Cache-Control: private/'" \
    | log -v > backpipe
Now that sed command will only apply to HTTP headers, because that's what pipeif does.

Download

For now you'll need to grab the code from GitHub and compile it yourself:
$ ./configure --prefix=~/mumpsimus
$ make check && make install